Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Italy - Veneto Region

After a 5-hour layover in Dusseldorf, we had less than a 90-minute flight to Venice and, again, no customs to go through. Out of the airport, we turned left and walked, pulling our luggage behind us, to the dock to board the orange-line vaporetto (water taxi). The taxi took us to our stop to meet the manager of our apartment in the Dorsoduro sestiere (neighborhood), a quiet area except when the bells from the church tower, close (really close) by the apartment, rang.

Arriving in Venice
Waiting at Ca' Rezzonico vaporetto stop
The view from our apartment in Venice

September 11 (Thursday) - We slept well after our long journey. The morning was cool and drizzly but the sun came out and it was a gorgeous day. We went out for breakfast, coffee and croissants. (The Italians do not eat large breakfasts. No eggs, bacon and toast!) Then, we walked around, taking pictures and seeing the sights. We had to go to a cell phone store to get a SIM card for the phone we were going to use in Italy. We had lunch at a cicchetti (pronounced chikettee and means small plates) with an ombra (small glass of local wine) standing outside by the canal. Then we went to the grocery store to get tortellini with prosciutto crudo and fresh pesto and salad, to prepare for our dinner, as well as orange juice, milk, cereal, rolls, soap and paper products.

A lunch of cicchetti and wine

Venice was a maze of canals. No roads entered or ran through this historical city of waterways. Everything moved on the water – deliveries of produce, beer, ice cream, packages/mail, construction materials, even cement mixers; ambulances, police, fire boats; taxis. You name it, it moved via the water – unless you were on pedi power. We walked miles and miles up and over bridges and back and forth on the stone paths – sometimes running alongside the canals and sometimes squeezed between buildings.
The Grand Canal
A smaller canal

September 12 (Friday) – Ken discovered the telephone forwarding he had set up from home to our Italian cell phone was not working which kept him occupied last night and this morning.

We finally got out, wanting soup for lunch but couldn't find any at a reasonable price. We went to a Mediterranean place and had a late lunch, staying close to the apartment because of the weather. After lunch, we stopped for lattes and came home for a while. About 7:00 PM we went out for dinner (Italians don’t come out for dinner until 8:00 or 9:00 PM) and shared a meat/cheese antipasto plate. It was cool and misty all day.

September 13 (Saturday) – Italy has a fantastic rail system. There were five cruise ships scheduled to come into Venice today so we took the regular 2nd-class train from the Santa Lucia station to Bologna, passing through agricultural land.

Bolonga Flower festival

In Bologna, we took a city bus tour, walked through the food market, and stopped at a street-side cafe for a 'spritz', the Italian national drink. Strolling around the city, we came upon a beautiful flower festival. Later, we ate pasta with, what else, Bolognese sauce then caught the last train home.

Our introduction to the "Spritz"
Tagliatelle pasta with Bolognese sauce

September 14 (Sunday) – This was a very special day and we were in very special place to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. It’s amore! We took a gondola ride in the evening during sunset. Our gondolier did not sing, but we passed by others who were serenading their passengers. There are 433 gondolas in Venice.

Celebrating our 30th anniversary

Dinner at Locanda Montin

There are 118 islands and 421 bridges in Venice and I think we walked over and through most of them!

Italians drink a lot of wine because: 1) It's good for you, and 2) it's inexpensive! In Venice, there are wine shops that sell locally-produced wines, in bulk. They sell you a refillable glass or plastic bottle and when you finish the contents, you return to the store and they will refill it! Did I mention that it's inexpensive?

Wine store in Venice

September 15 (Monday) – Venice is also divided into districts. Today, we walked to Cannaregio, the Jewish district and toured three of the five synagogues – built by the Germans, French, and Italian. There were reported to have been 1000 Jews in Venice. Most escaped during the Nazi invasion; however 485+/- were taken to concentration camps. Only 8 returned. No one knows what happened to the remaining people.

One of the synagogues in the Jewish Ghetto

During the occupation, Jews were actually needed. They were the only ones who could lend money, be doctors or sell second-hand clothes. Christians were not allowed to do these things.

Did you know that it was actually a Pope who decreed the Jews had to wear the yellow star? Also, at first, the word ghetto was pronounced jetto? Because the Germans could not say the 'j' sound, the term ghetto was used.

Because we were in the Jewish district, we had lunch at a kosher Jewish restaurant. Jamey had Masabacha (hummus) with eggplant.

September 16 (Tuesday) – We took a boat tour to some of the islands - Murano, Burano, and Torcello. Murano was famous for its glass and we saw some beautiful and very expensive pieces and a demonstration of glass blowing. Torcello was known for an old church built in the 15th century. Burano women made beautiful lace and there are tablecloths, clothing and many other items available made with their interesting handiwork; Burano was a fishing village with many colorful houses and a leaning bell tower. The Bussola Butanello cookies come from here. We couldn’t leave without buying some.

Sculpting glass in Murano
Lacemaker in Burano
The colorful town of Burano
Pomegranate tree in Torcello

September 17 (Wednesday) - We have been in Venice one week. We walked to the Rialto Market and back this morning and then went out for lunch.

Rialto Market

All types of fresh produce

September 18 (Thursday) Once again, we took the train. This time to Verona, site of many Roman ruins. We found a restaurant for lunch and made use of the free toilet. This was a surprise! The toilet was unisex, which wasn’t unusual in Italy, but instead of a bowl you would sit on, there was a porcelain bowl set flush in the floor with a place on each side for your feet. Women had to squat. Thank goodness for strong quads!

Roman amphitheatre built in 1st century

September 19 (Friday) – Planning ahead for relocation to Lucca next Wednesday, we walked to the train station to buy tickets. Then we walked through the maze of paths (getting lost even though we had a map and were using GPS on Ken's phone) to a mask-maker's shop to purchase our souvenir - a mask replicating the one's doctor’s wore during the plague. The doctor would stuff the long beak with herbs and straw to filter out the bad air.

Maskmaker at La Bottega dei Mascareri

September 20 (Saturday) – To get to the train station next Wednesday with all our luggage, we opted to take a Vaporetto (water taxi). We had to go to the train station to purchase the Vaporetto tickets. Then we walked around a part of Venice where we had not been and which was much quieter.
Clotheslines are everywhere in Venice

September 21 (Sunday) - B86, I107, B92. No, we were not playing bingo. These were ticket numbers to get Information and buy train tickets from an agent. First, you get a ticket and wait until you’re called to get information on trains available. Then you get another ticket and wait on the agent to call your number to purchase your ticket. Ticket, ticket, who has the ticket? You can also buy your train tickets from a vending machine if you have cash or a 'chip and pin' credit card. Our chipped card required a signature so it could not be used.

We got an early morning start to the train station to buy tickets to Bassano del Grappa. After wading through the mass of walkers in Venice for the Nordic Walk, we went in the station, but our number, B86, was way down the list. Ken purchased our tickets with cash (Euros) from a vending machine. Looking at the electronic sign, track-side, for which platform to board our train, we saw that it was canceled. Oh smack! We had to go back inside the station and get another ticket and wait once again for an agent. Due to a scheduled strike, there were no regular trains running today. We were able to get our money back and would have to start all over again tomorrow.

The day was not wasted though. We actually found Sant' Elena Park at the far eastern end of Venice, a beautiful place with grass and trees and very few people.
Sant' Elena Park
Enjoying an afternoon break in a quiet area of Venice

September 22 (Monday) – Today was our lucky day. There were no scheduled strikes so we took the train to Bassano del Grappa and ate a typical pasta for lunch, Bogli with (duck) Anitra sauce and later tried grappa which is distilled there. We walked across the Ponte Vecchio, a wooden bridge dating back to the 12th century which was the only bridge not destroyed during WWII bombings.

Bassano del Grappa
View from the Ponte degli Alpini

Luckily, we made it home in time to miss a torrential hail storm. We had to close the shutters because the hail was blowing against the windows so hard we were afraid the glass would shatter. In the shady areas of the walkways, piles of hail (the size of marbles) lingered for a couple of days.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting our blog.
Please leave a message or comment, we would like to hear from you!